Monday, March 8, 2010

Habs and hemp

I think Irish was trying to kill me tonight.  He made a veggie fajita for me, but chose not to partake because he said he wasn't hungry.  He put a slightly chopped habanero into the mix along with the jalapeno jack almond cheese.  Holy smokes!!!

It was nothing but painful to eat.   I added rice to the mix to try calming it down a little, but that didn't help.  Two big glasses of almond milk didn't do much for my poor tongue and gums either.  It was all on fire.  I felt like I was breaking a fever sweat (although thankfully I didn't literally start sweating from my dinner!).

I also think I burnt off the top layer of my lips.  This was the closest I've ever come to wanting to cry from food I've eaten.  I'm going to have to pass on the whole hab for dinner next time.  Sheesh!

Since Irish made it for me and I would NOT recommend anybody fix it for themselves, I have no picture or recipe for you.

A quick question for my local WF: Why do you no longer stock the regular or chocolate flavors of Nutiva hemp protein powder?  All I can get is the "berry pomegranate" flavor, and I could get just as much protein in a scoop of PB and have less sugar and $20 more bucks in my pocket that way.  I don't appreciate that.  Please return the regular and chocolate flavors to your shelves so I don't waste my money or abandon the protein powder that helps heal my sore muscles in the mornings.  Thanks!  Sincerely, Trail

P.S. Actually, thanks WF.  I just checked Amazon, and I can get 2 for the price of 1 from when you used to stock them anyway.  I'll just buy online and get them delivered to my door.  Don't worry, we're still friends.  I like what you represent, just not when my cash disappears through your doors.

What is your heat tolerance for foods?  Are you a fiery mouthed warrior or a firm believer that food should not be painful?  I try to increase my heat tolerance in foods, but still think food shouldn't hurt.  Do you use protein powder?  What kind, how costly, where do you buy if you partake?  Pre-veggie, I used whey; now I use hemp, but you can see my frustration.  No mainstream grocery store has anything else either, so it's a must to plan ahead.

4 comments:

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

iherb.com use my code AVE630 to save $5 bucks.

sun warrior brown rice in chocolate. also the vanilla is good.

jay robb brown rice is good too but there are never any deals anywhere whereas w/ sun warrior either iherb or amazon you can shave a couple bucks off.

Heat. I like it. BUT I hate salt. Normally people add both. So therefore i never eat out :) but in my own kitchen I cook with heat sometimes, i go thru phases.

Eating and 95% "clean"...yeah I would agree than even my 5% of "bad" is light yrs ahead of the SAD crowd with their drive thru lunches and such.
xoxo

Gina; The Candid RD said...

Oh man!! I am laughing, but crying for you at the same time. I love spicy, hot foods, but I guess there is always a limit. If it's so hot or spicy that I can't enjoy it, I don't really like that, obviously. You should get him back ;)

I don't do protein powder, no. I get plenty of protein in my diet and I don't feel like there is any need to include protein powder. If I did use it, I would probably just get something at Trader Joe's. I love their products.

Sunshine Mama said...

I don't like to burn up my tongue either.

I just buy whey powder at the local grocery store. It's made in Wisconsin. I can't think of the brand right off hand.

Sunshine Mama said...

I don't like to burn up my tongue either.

I just buy whey powder at the local grocery store. It's made in Wisconsin. I can't think of the brand right off hand.