Thursday, November 19, 2009

Feeling overwhelmed

Sometimes it gets hard to balance everything.  I have too much on my plate right now at work, too much in preparation for hosting Thanksgiving, too much in simplifying the clutter in our house, too much to get our financial house in order, too much in getting my body into shape (for me this means that exercise is an enjoyable part of my day not what makes new things ache), and too much to shift our eating habits in a healthier direction. 

The positive is that my husband and I are both making strides toward a better life for ourselves.  We also are like-minded on this-- a better life doesn't equate having more money or more stuff, like the typical meaning.  A better life is very holistic and rounded.

The hard part is that 1/2 my time should be allocated in about 8 different things right now, and I don't have 4 wholes to offer.  I only have one.  So many things will improve, but at a snail's pace compared to what I want to see.  It's not necessarily spreading us too thin, but the progress will be baby steps in many areas.

We could go full steam ahead and blow through one aspect, neglecting all others.  The problem I see with this is twofold.  First, you are leaving other important aspects of your life behind, causing an imbalance.  You throw yourself into your work at the sacrifice to your family and your health.  That's not ok.  Second, to maintain any progress or momentum you have made, you will ultimately have to reach a point where you maintain all aspects simultaneously or you will always be neglecting part of your life, staying imbalanced.  In real life, you have to juggle all areas, so you might as well work on that equilibrium state from the get-go if all areas need work anyway.

Things that are overwhelming can still be exciting.  I am excited about these changes, but it is daunting.  We have a long, probably steep, road ahead of us.  That's ok, though.  I'm up for the challenge.